Call for Submissions
The New Brunswick Social Policy Research Network is Proud to Announce the
2017 NB Policy Research Forum on the Social Determinants of Health
Monday April 24th and Tuesday April 25th, 2017 in Riverview, NB.
The New Brunswick Social Policy Research Network (NBSPRN) invites you to submit an abstract to the 2017 NB Policy Research Forum that will be held in the Moncton region, NB on April 24th and 25th, 2017. Hosted in partnership by NBSPRN and the Government of New Brunswick’s Department of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour, the Forum will be an important occasion to highlight applied research and showcase collaborative models of evidence-based policy development. This year, the Forum will offer presentations with a particular emphasis on the social determinants of health and will draw from the themes reflected in the World Health Organization’s Conference on the Social Determinants of Health in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 2011. These included the need for:
- action across sectors and levels of government, including the adoption of a Health in all Policies approach
- reorientation of the health sector (including public health) to reducing health inequities
- research and other types of evidence to inform policy and action
- action to improve health across the entire population, while paying special attention to vulnerable groups
- cooperation between private and public sectors (e.g., in ensuring workplace safety)
- inclusivity and participation in policy-making and implementation processes
- a life-course approach with a special focus on promoting health and wellbeing in early childhood
- monitoring and evaluation strategies
This call-to-action led to a resolution (“Reducing health inequities through action on the social determinants of health,”) signed by the World Health Assembly in 2012.
Abstracts will be selected based on their relevance to the areas of social and economic policy in New Brunswick, with a particular focus this year on the social determinants of health, including:
- Income and Social Status
- Social Support Networks
- Education and Literacy
- Employment/Working Conditions
- Social Environments
- Physical Environments
- Personal Health Practices and Coping Skills
- Healthy Child Development
- Biology and Genetic Endowment
- Health Services
Abstracts can report on completed work (research/projects/policy reports/ case studies) or works in progress. Community organizations, government departments, the business and private sector and academic and non-academic researchers are welcomed. The submissions will be evaluated by a panel of researchers and community experts. The Review Panel will evaluate poster and presentation abstracts using the following criteria:
- Relevance to the WHO themes, the social determinants of health and policy research
- Importance of topic
- Clarity of the aim(s)/research question
- Interdisciplinarity of research team and/or evidence of cross-sector collaboration
- Potential impact of the findings or conclusions on health outcomes, practice, programs and/or policy
Selected authors will be asked to present at the Forum based on the outcome of the evaluation process. Applicants will be notified of the decision made by the Review Panel on March 1, 2017.
*Please note, costs are not covered for presenters. Registration and payment can be made after acceptance notification has been received.
Two types of contributions will be considered:
1- Flash presentation (10 minutes)
2- Poster presentation (37in X 41in)
Publication and Networking Opportunities
The selected abstracts will be featured as a part of the pre-conference materials showcased on the Forum website, uploaded to the NBSPRN Research Catalogue, and promoted and used by the NBSPRN to facilitate further collaborative research opportunities. The Forum will be attended by senior policymakers, civil servants, researchers, students, and administrators from the province’s universities, community colleges, provincial government community organizations, as well as engaged citizens.
Abstract submission deadline: February 24, 2017
Notification to authors: March 1, 2017
Please prepare your submission using the following format:
1 – Submission Form
- Your name and contact information including your affiliation and the members of your research team
- The title of the submitted work
- Identification of the proposed themes listed in the “selection criteria” your presentation/poster fits within
- Identification of whether your work will be submitted as a presentation, or a poster.
- An abstract/summary of the work (250 word maximum)
2- Download the Submission Form by clicking here.
Please email the Submission Form as an MS Word attachment with the subject line: “Abstract – 2017 NB Policy Research Forum” to email@example.com by February 24, 2017.
 To access the full declaration, please visit: http://nccdh.ca/resources/entry/rio-political-declaration-on-social-determinants-of-health
 This list was drawn from the Public Health Agency of Canada. Available here: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/ph-sp/determinants/index-eng.php